Thursday 21 April 2011

Bring on the open roads! ...maybe...

Friday I had my last motorcycle lesson. It was my last lesson because despite all of my faults, or maybe because of them, Mark decided to give me my license...

It was fairly uneventful compared to my last three lessons. I didn't even stall the bike once! Maybe that's the only thing Mark wanted from me, or the only thing he was HOPING I would be able to manage. But apparently I surprised him with my extreme talent at emergency braking. What else do I really need to know? I take off like a "rocket launcher" - Mark's words... and I can stop in a hurry without stalling. I'm SET!!

The obsticle avoidance exercise was extremely boring, nothing like I thought it would be... Mark had a course set up with witches hats - no surprise at all! It was merely swerving, I've done heaps of that, not necessarily deliberately, but I have wobbled the bike all over the road which is very similar to swerving, right? The only difference was I had to pretend I was in control and remember when to pull the clutch in and brake. Oh, and there was the head check too, but I don't have to move my eyes off where I'm going, if I move my head, Mark thinks I'm doing it right.

We did some more road time, which was great but again Mark kept telling me to go faster. I WAS going faster, faster than I have any other time! So, I got my revenge on him... I got to ride up front for the first time, and I took off on him while giving him the "go faster" sign. As we pulled up at a set of lights, a laughing Mark informed me that we didn't need to catch the cars in front of us. I replied with a simple, "I know."

I was pretty proud of myself, no stalling, no falling off and generally nothing too stupid... or so I thought, until the very end of the ride when we were parking the bikes. Mark instructed me to park the bike next to him on the grass - easy enough... except the kickstand got stuck in the grass, and yep, I dropped the bike... onto myself. Luckily the bike is small and I'm pretty strong so I managed to catch it, push it back into place and get the stand down before running away from it. I turned around just in time to see Mark giggling at me. I guess that was his revenge for all the grey hairs I have given him.

It doesn't matter though, the end result is I passed!! Without any damage to me or the bike. YAY!! And on top of all that, I go straight onto my open license, so no giant "P" for me!!

Now it's time to buy a bike...


Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment