Monday 4 April 2011

Life Rules!

I am about to move house, yet again, so I am sorting through all of my "junk" to see what I should keep, throw out or donate to charity. I hate moving so I am procrastinating as much as possible in the hope that a swarm of fairies will invade overnight and do all my packing (and cleaning) for me, but to assist with my procrastination and avoidance technique I keep finding things I had long since forgotten about. All sorts of things, from old diaries (I had to burn them to make sure they were REALLY gone!) to crazy photos, videos and clothes. These discoveries are causing some pretty major distractions and are the reason why I have only packed 5 boxes. Unfortunately those 5 boxes are all books so it doesn't look like I have done ANY packing at all but at least I know the most important stuff is packed!

Today, I re-discovered a list of life rules that I had written for myself a long time ago. The discovery of this list has made me realise how many of my values, ethics and morals have stayed the same but had lost their importance. Or maybe they were still important but I just made exceptions to these rules because I thought the situation was different, that the rules didn't apply. Finding this list made me see that I had compromised.... I had made excuses.... I had sold-out on myself.

Now I think it's time for a fresh start. New house, new attitude, new beginnings. It's time to get the balance back, to sort out my life, to recharge and come back better than ever. Strength, direction and respect for myself are my priorities and it will all start with a refreshed list of Lfe Rules! ...Well, that's the plan, it means I have to put off packing for a bit longer too!



My Life Rules:

1) Don't compare your life to others, you have no idea what their journey is all about.

2) Love lots, trust a few, do wrong to none.

3) Be honest, to yourself.

4) No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

5) If doing something has the potential to make you happy and it's not at the expense of someone else's happiness - do it!

6) Don't save things for special occasions, everyday is special.

7) Your friends and family are the most important parts of your life, don't take them for granted.


8) Don't let the sun set on an argument. Agree to disagree.

9) Follow your dreams. You are never given a dream without the ability to achieve it.

10) If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.

11) Life isn't fair, but it's still good. Always choose life.

12) Pay off your credit card every month.

13) Learn the rules so you can break them properly.

14) Cry with someone, its more healing than crying alone.

15) What other people think of you, is none of your business!

16) Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present.

17) Get rid of anything that isn't useful, joyful or beautiful.

18) When in doubt, just take the next small step.

19) Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

20) When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take "no" for an answer.

21) No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

22) Keep life in perspective: In 5 years time, will this matter?

23) Laugh when you can and apologise when you should.

24) Love deeply, forgive quickly.

25) Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

26) You will never fly with someone else's wings, so live your life, not theirs.



This was my old list, I don't think there is much I would change on there to be honest... Maybe I should just condense it down so it's easier to remember!


Back to packing....

Jessie

1 comment: